Bailey Louise Todd
Sailing Frenchman Bay out of Bar Harbor, Maine.
image above is of her christening August 29,2015. Pictured is Bailey Louise (who the vessel is named after) along with her parents, Randy and Marcie.
Back to Bailey Louise Todd current sailing and reservations
History of Bailey Louise Todd
The building of the 91 foot (LOA), 64 foot on deck, hackmatack schooner, then, “Janet May” began in 1981. Captain Steve Pagels contracted with Philip Shelton and Don Baman to design and build a charter schooner for Bar Harbor, Maine. The design originated from the Biloxi, Mississippi freight schooners of the late 1800’s. Philip Shelton modified the original design found in the second edition of Howard Chapelle’s “National Watercraft Collection” and carved a half-hull model from which the Janet May was built. With a 20 foot beam and 4 1/2 foot draft (with centerboard up) she would make a stable platform from which to introduce passenger to the sites off the coast of Maine.
Hackamatack is a softwood tree used mostly for it’s roots. These were used for knees to reinforce the decks of ships. It was decided to use hackamatack for the entire schooner, except for the keel. Vessels built of hackamatack have lasted a 100 + years. Sixty knees were used in her construction. A total of 30,000 feet (60 cords) of wood went into her hull and deck.
The Janet May transitioned in 1989/1990 to Schooner Inc. and became the Quinnipiac sailing from New Haven Connecticut. She was reunited with Capt. Pagels in 2015, returning to her home port in Bar Harbor, Maine. She is currently named Bailey Louise Todd after Capt. Pagels granddaughter and sails Frenchman Bay.